Saturday, August 29, 2009

How To Clean Up Your Dirty Side Really Quick

His name was Eugene. Haven't seen him or heard from him in over 50 years, but I can't forget what he did for me. If he continued on with the Lord, we'll meet up on the other side.

I was a 5th grader at Linden Elementary School . Eugene was in 6th. I was a pretty bad kid. Eugene was worse. That's why he was my hero. I especially remember him as having a bad vocabulary. His mouth, his words, his stories. He was the worst.

Eventually Eugene had to move on. In those days you went from 6th grade to Junior High. After three years of that you were in High School. Usually you stayed in one building for those last six years.

Eugene was gone. I tried my best to fill his shoes. Then one day there he was again. I couldn't believe my eyes. From across the playground I caught a glimpse of my old friend. Evidently the High School was off that day. Of course, with Eugene it wouldn't matter. Maybe he was cutting class. All the more reason for my reaction.

I barreled across that playground and greeted him like the exalted person he was to me. Soon after that display of emotion, I started to tell him the latest joke I had heard from the street. I don't remember the joke right now except to say it was probably pretty lowly if I meant to impress King Eugene.

Then - I'll never forget it - the king put his hand out and motioned for me to stop. "Sorry, I don't listen to those jokes any more. Jesus Christ has come into my life and changed me..."

My countenance fell and crashed on the ground. Something new but at that time unpleasant went all through me. Was it disgust I felt or shock or what?

Eugene, how could you! I thought but never said. After an embarrassed reaction to this bit of news, the snake that I was slithered away looking for solace...

But the seed was planted. A simple no and a simple testimony. God used it. And God will use what you do also, Christian soldier! The creative miracle of Acts 2, where God poured out His Spirit and sent His followers out full of Life, continues today. The seed is within you, as surely as it was in the plants and animals that He blessed on creation week. When we plant that living seed in the human heart, the result, believer, is life and life eternal.

http://chosunhouse.com is a website I put together a few months back to get the word out to believers that they need to pray for North Korea. I have created over 200 blogs and the site features a live news feed, lists of resources, picture essays, and ways to respond to the overwhelming need in North Korea. Let's love Chosun together! Contact me any time at diakonos5@yahoo.com

And who am I? A man found of God over 50 years ago, called to the ministry, serving the Lord as needed in my world. Married, member of a local church in the Chicago area, with full time work in public education. I love to write Scriptural works. Who are you? Would love to fellowship with believers who respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment