Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hermetica by Paul Kiritsis - Book Review

iUniverse (2007)
ISBN 9780595449569

This book had a strange effect on me. I found as I began reading it that I was mesmerized by the poems and stories. It engaged me from the beginning to the end and I had a hard time putting it down. I applaud the author's style of combining both collections of poetry and his own interpretations of myths and legends.

In the introduction, the author describes the contents of the book "'Hermetica: Myths, Legends, Poems' is a collection of both poetry and my own renditions of epic myths and legends. Its title comes not only from the fact that was influenced by Hermetic literature but also because it concerns itself with alchemy, primarily the alchemy of love." (page xvii) "He has complete faith that true love does exist and writes as elusive as it may be, true love does exist and anyone can find it present in their life if they are really open to such." (page xvii)

The poems and stories that follow captured my attention and took me on many adventures. The first section on poetics contains poetry that includes alchemy, magic, astrology, myths, wisdom, music and erotica. The second section contains seven mythical stories that deliver messages to the reader. The author pays tribute to the love story of Osiris and Isis and the events leading up to Osiris' death and through his resurrection. Several other stories are included including a popular one from the Middle Ages, "The Tale of the Shipwrecked Sailor."

Throughout time oral and written stories have been used to teach people morals and lessons. Even the Bible is full of the parables taught by Jesus using examples to teach people new ideas and lessons. In "Hermetica: Myths, Legends, Poems," the author does a great job with intertwining ancient stories with today's themes. As a former resident of the Hawaiian Islands, I especially enjoyed the poems about the islands and the volcano goddess Pele. If you enjoy myths, legends and poetry, then this book is for you.

Reviewed by Cherie Fisher for Reader Views (2/08)

http://www.readerviews.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment